The Institute is to among other things:
- Provide a platform for Polymer and Polymer related Engineers to interact and exchange knowledge.
- Be a platform for the formation of Codes and Standards for Polymer and Polymer related industries.
- Collaborate with NSE and COREN in the development of Polymer and Polymer related Engineering profession as well as to ensure proper implementation of standard curriculum in Nigerian Universities offering Polymer courses.
- Ensure that the welfare and career of Polymer and Polymer related Engineers in Nigeria are given priority.
Encourage the development and acquisition of technology in the area of Polymer and Polymer related Engineering by visiting places of interest, holding meetings, conferences, workshops, publishing books, journals and periodicals on Polymer and Polymer related Engineering matters.
- Promote research in Polymer Engineering materials with particular reference to local conditions.
- Present member or members as arbitrators, investors, expert witnesses or specialist advisers when called upon to do so, collaborate with industries, commerce, academia and such national bodies as may be necessary for the advancement of the Institute.
- Protect and promote the mutual interest of its members and give advice to members.
- The Institute will be committed to collaborate and provide expert advice to government, industries, academia and the Institute at large for the purpose of advancement of the country.